Domestic Workers Movement
- Building an environment for domestic workers to access their social, economic and legal entitlements through the strengthening of Movement and Union
- To organize and sensitize domestic workers to access their rights, social security and welfare schemes
- To promote networking and partnership of domestic workers and organizations working for the domestic Workers
Areas of Focus
- Building awareness through training programmes, workshops, signature campaigns, poster campaigns, legal aids etc for justice and fundamental rights
- Formation of area wise groups
- Formation of SHGs
- Sensitization of employers
- Organize health and literacy camps for the domestic workers
Domestic workers especially women domestic workers are a constantly growing section in the informal sector in urban India. Streevani reaches out to women domestic workers enabling them to organize themselves for self-help and collective action. Counselling, legal aid, promotion of women’s participation in Panchayati Raj, environmental awareness, gender sensitization are some of such projects.
Streevani Domestic Workers Movement is gained momentum rapidly and spreading to many more areas in the city of Pune.
The current activities are as follows: -
- Membership: The membership in the movement has increased considerably and currently there are 4130 women registered under Streevani domestic workers movement.
- Self Help Groups: 44 self help groups are formed and these groups are affiliated to Pune Municipal corporation which enables them to get subsidies, marriage loans and educational loans from the government.
- Solidarity Groups: There are 68 solidarity groups
- Social Security Schemes:
- Health insurance schemes under the social welfare board of the government of Maharashtra for domestic workers: 3221 women have registered under this scheme.
- Pension scheme for the unorganized Sector, a Central Government Scheme: 86 persons have enrolled under this scheme.
- Birth of our Union: The movement is registered as a Trade Union under the name of Mharashtra Gharelu Kamkar Union,Pune in February, 2014.